We all want the best for our pets, and one way to ensure that your pets are healthy, happy, and safe is to keep an eye on the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) recall list.
New Puppy Care Essentials
It’s almost time for your puppy to come home, and there are so many things to get! Are you ready?
Here is our list of puppy essentials, along with a few optional items that you may want to have on hand before your pup arrives.
- Puppy Food
- Food and water bowls
- Crate (if you crate train, you’ll want a crate that your puppy can grow into)
- Training treats (we recommend starting with a soft puppy treat )
- Poop bags for cleaning up after your pup on a walk
- Flea and Tick repellent (check with your vet about recommended brands and options)
- Chew toys, a necessity while your pup is teething at about 4 months old
- Puppy shampoo
- Floor or carpet cleaner in case of accidents (we recommend Nature’s Miracle)
- Harness – many dogs walk better on a leash when they use a harness instead of a collar.
- Variety of toys – Your puppy may prefer soft toys, hard chew toys, or even dog puzzles. Test out different options and see what your pup enjoys
- Doggy seatbelt – to keep your pup safe during car rides
- Dog bed – can be used instead of or in addition to a crate
- Dog house – if your dog will be spending lots of time outdoors, we recommend providing a place for your pup to get out of the weather
- Pee pads – if your pup will be spending a lot of time indoors, pee pads will be particularly helpful while they’re still potty trainig
- Child gates / dog gates – useful if there are particular areas of the house not ready for puppy exploration
We recommend getting all of the items on the essentials list and considering the optional items based on your lifestyle. You can always have a variety of different leashes, toys, collars, puppy clothing, and other accessories if you’d like, but these basics will cover your puppy’s main needs. And keep in mind – you can always go back for new toys and accessories if you think your pup needs them!