Best Apartment Dogs
When we live in an apartment, dog size matters because you have to share your tiny home with your pooch. Here are the top 10 best apartment dogs that won’t mind living without a backyard:
- Boxers - Originally bred in Germany, Boxers are loyal, great with kids and family protectors. They are quick to learn and very clever. Boxers are cousin to nearly all Bulldog type breeds and come from the ancient Molosser line of dog breeds.
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - This breed is a real couch potato and loves to cuddle. Every time when they get a chance, the first thing they will do is to lay on your lap and beg for a belly rub. They get very bonded with their pet parents, and even a small apartment is just perfect for them. However, as a pet parent, you have to be very patient with potty training because this breed is very hard to train. If you give them plenty of outdoor activities, it turns out quickly they are trustworthy apartment dogs.
- Havanese - This breed mostly stays inside with his pet parent, rather than to spend some time outdoors. Havanese loves to play as long as his pet parent is around and pays attention to him. They make a great apartment dog for someone who loves to play fetch and tug with a bouncy, energized furball.
- Maltipoo - This is a very affectionate and gentle breed. They make a perfect apartment “therapy” dog with a loving and friendly personality. The Maltipoo is a very active breed and loves being outdoors, but he will lay on your lap while you are sitting on the couch and watching TV.
- Shih Tzu - This breed basically was bred to be a lap dog. They are affectionate, gentle, calm, and great four-legged companions. Shih Tzus are friendly with everyone. This breed typically fits in any type of home, and he is really a great choice for small living spaces.
- Chihuahua - Because of their tiny sizes, Chihuahuas make perfect apartment dogs. This breed has a low energy level, doesn’t require too much daily exercise, and loves to stay very close to his pet parent. They are very suspicious of strangers, so they will require supervision when you get visitors in order to avoid any incident from misunderstanding.
- Pomeranian - This breed is well-known as the cutest furball. They are the perfect lap dogs for seniors living in an apartment, or for someone who spends a lot of time at home. Pomeranians require daily walking to reduce their energies and to be socialized with other animals.
- Maltese - This breed is a highly-regarded companion dog for thousands of years by now. Maltese has a loving and friendly personality; besides, he is very affectionate, which can cause separation anxiety if he is left alone for too long. They don’t have an undercoat, and that is why they don’t shed so much fur, which makes them perfect apartment dogs.
- Morkie - Morkies are well-known as loving tiny furballs with an extremely friendly and social personality. This breed is very loyal and can get sticked very much to his pet parent. They are happy either in the suburbs or in a tiny-sized apartment as long as they can be close to their beloved pet parents.
- French Bulldog - This breed originally was bred as a miniature Bulldog. Because of their small size and low activity level, they are a great choice as apartment pooches. With their lovely personality, they love to play with their human parents indoors. They also make a great watchdog because they only bark if they are suspicious.
Pros and Cons of Owning an Apartment Dog
Apartment Dog Pros
Apartment Dog Cons
Are Apartment Dogs Bad?
For How Long Do Apartment Dogs Live?
Apartment Puppies For Sale